Having a dry season? Ever wonder how dry (translate: dull, distant from God and everybody else including yourself) you've become? It's happened to me, in fact, a friend I just spoke with on the phone sounded like a howling desert wind - full of miserable hot air. Would your friends or family say that's you?
Here's a 60 second SELF TEST:
Mark Yes or No
1. When I get up in the morning, I dread facing the day.
2. I look older than I should.
3. Can't remember the last time I had a good belly laugh.
4. I have more aches and pains than I used to.
5. It takes me forever to fall asleep, and then I'm awake a lot during the night.
6. God never answers my prayers, so why bother?
7. Why make plans for the future? They never work out anyway.
8. I seldom feel strong and vigorous or energetic.
9. I've lost most of my closest friends.
10. I wonder if God cares about me any more?
If you answered Yes to more than three of these questions, you are drying up a bit, my friend, on the inside. It's time to take care of yourself, schedule some regular R & R.
If you answered Yes to five or more, it's time to tell someone else, schedule a full physical, and have an honest conversation with your pastor, a counselor, or close friend.
If you answered Yes to all or most of the above, you are bone dry to the core. Time for serious intervention. Trust me when I say, I've been there. I lost my health and all my joy of living. But here's the GOOD NEWS! You can get it back. I did, and all it took was making time to be alone with God, changing the unhealthy way I looked at my responsibilities, and learning to live for God's pleasure and not simply meeting everyone else's needs. The story of this renewal is written in my book, Meet Me at the Well: Take a Month and Water Your Soul. (Moody Publishers, 2008). Write me back and I'll put your name in a drawing for a free book this week. Sound good? It's worth it to find renewal and real life once again!